How do we at Tikkurila take account of climate change?
Selection of raw materials and water-borne products
We pay particular attention to our products’ raw material choices – we are continuously looking for safer alternatives in terms of health and the environment, we are studying the use of renewable and bio-based raw materials, and almost all our consumer products are water-borne. We select high-quality raw materials and their suppliers with care.
Our water-borne products are almost odor-free and easy to use, and they dry quickly. The benefits of water-borne paints also include that they have low emissions, with as low effects on the environment as possible. A low-emission paint ensures better indoor air quality and smaller health risks.
How you can make a difference with your paint choices?
- Helmi and Joker paints have the Nordic Swan Ecolabel and M1 classification, granted by the Finnish Building Information Foundation, guaranteeing low emissions. Joker paint is also awarded with the Allergy and asthma label and, as the first paint product in Finland, the EU Ecolabel.
- A product with a Swan Ecolabel is not only good for the environment and its user, but it is also very durable. Its technical quality – such as adhesion, wear resistance and hiding power – has been verified.
- Joker and many of the Helmi paints are manufactured in Finland, at the Vantaa site, which holds environmental, quality, occupational safety and health certificates.
Protection and longer life-cycle of built environment
Climate change sets stricter requirements for the surface treatment of different materials and building facades. Paints and coatings need to be increasingly durable in ever-changing climate conditions ranging from humidity to freezing cold and scorching heat. Surface treatment has a major effect on protecting the built environment and extending its life-cycle. A longer life-cycle of a surface will reduce the environmental impact of having to renew structures, thereby saving expenses and natural resources.
Select a more climate-friendly product for your facade:
- Products in the Finngard Clean product selection designed for mineral surfaces are self-cleaning, or superhydrophobic, which means that rain will rinse off dirt off the surface.
- Finngard Clean products resist water even better than before, which makes it difficult for various microbes and fungi to grow on the facade.
- The products also breathe well, that is, they have good water vapor permeability. This means that any humidity in the structure can evaporate through the surface, enabling drying of structures.
- Valtti Plus Kesto, designed for wooden surfaces, is an extremely durable water-borne stain for surfaces that are exposed to severe weather.
- Thanks to a new type of binder, UV protection and Super Color shades, wooden surfaces can be made extremely weather-resistant. The maintenance painting interval of Valtti Plus Kesto can be 5–10 years, while it is generally 2–5 years for stains.
- Both Finngard Clean and Valtti Plus Kesto are manufactured in Finland, at the Vantaa site, which holds environmental, quality, occupational safety and health certificates.
Resource-efficiency and environmental protection of our operations
Tikkurila's environmental work gives us an opportunity to mitigate climate change. Our objective is to continuously reduce the environmental impacts of our operations, for example through using natural resources sparingly and by streamlining our production processes and production sites’ resource efficiency in order to reduce emissions, material loss and waste. We also pay attention to water use, cleaning and reuse in our processes, and promote recycling and reuse of materials in our operations. Environmental protection is a key element of everything we do. Key areas of focus include air protection, wastewater reduction and treatment, waste management and ground protection.
We took part in the Earth Hour climate change event on March 24, 2018, and switched off lights in our sites for the climate.
Tikkurila is a leading Nordic paint company with expertise that spans decades. We develop premium products and services that provide our customers with quality that will stand the test of time and weather. We operate in around ten countries and our 3,000 dedicated professionals share the joy of building a vivid future through surfaces that make a difference. In 2017, our revenue totaled EUR 582 million. The company is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki. Nordic quality from start to finish since 1862.