Tikkurila's history 1862 - 2012
Tikkurila – 150 years of decoration and protectionTikkurila Oyj was established in Finland on August 14, 1862 on the bank of the River Keravanjoki, about ten miles to the north of the capital Helsinki. In the course of time, what was once a small oil press has grown into one of the leading paint companies in Northern and Eastern Europe.
At first, linseeds were compressed into animal feed cakes, and untreated linseed oil was used for surface treatment. Varnish cooking began in 1867, and the manufacture of paints and lacquers in industrial scale in 1919. Extensive marketing and customer training activities, which were started in the 1920s, still continue today. In the 1960s Tikkurila expanded its operations to cover tinting technology as well, but in 2000 the company returned to its roots – the development, manufacture and marketing of paint.